- 1 Is Bay City Texas Safe?
- 2 What is Bay City Texas known for?
- 3 How far is Bay City from Houston?
- 4 How far is Bay City Texas from the beach?
- 5 Are there alligators in Matagorda Bay?
- 6 What county is Sargent TX in?
- 7 How far is Bay City from Matagorda?
- 8 How did Bay City Texas get its name?
- 9 Can you drive to Matagorda Island?
- 10 Where can I buy a Matagorda beach permit?
Is Bay City Texas Safe?
Within Texas, more than 96% of the communities have a lower crime rate than Bay City. Importantly, when you compare Bay City to other communities of similar population, then Bay City crime rate (violent and property crimes combined) is quite a bit higher than average.
What is Bay City Texas known for?
Taking the town’s name from the surrounding Bay Prairie, real estate speculators built Bay City in the 1890s, and by 1914, the region had become the United States’ largest producer of rice. To this day, the county is known for rice, as well as sorghum, cotton, corn, and turf grass.
How far is Bay City from Houston?
The total driving distance from Houston, TX to Bay City, TX is 82 miles or 132 kilometers.
How far is Bay City Texas from the beach?
Bay City is located 20 miles away from the gulf coast and Matagorda Beach.
Are there alligators in Matagorda Bay?
24 incident that saw the 48-year-old Matagorda Bay fishing guide involved in an exceedingly rare occurrence – a seemingly unprovoked alligator attack on a Texan. An oyster reef in the bay typically isn’t one of the places a person is likely to encounter one of Texas’ 400,000 or so alligators.
What county is Sargent TX in?
Sargent, on Farm Road 457 five miles northwest of the Gulf of Mexico and twenty-four miles southeast of Bay City in the eastern corner of Matagorda County, was named for George Sargent, an Englishman who immigrated to Texas from Cornwall, England, in 1834.
How far is Bay City from Matagorda?
There are 20.16 miles from Bay City to Matagorda in south direction and 21 miles (33.80 kilometers) by car, following the TX 60 route.
How did Bay City Texas get its name?
The community is named for its location on Bay Prairie, between the richly productive bottomlands of the Colorado River and Caney Creek. In August 1894, before a single building had been erected, Magill and Vogelsang released the first issue of the Bay City Breeze and began to promote the new community.
Can you drive to Matagorda Island?
Access to the island is by private boat or charter boat only. The hunter check station is located approximately 11 water miles from Port O’Connor. There is no state ferry service to the island. No motorized vehicles of any kind are allowed on Matagorda Island.
Where can I buy a Matagorda beach permit?
You can purchase your permit at the vendors listed below.
- Stanley’s Market. 725 Market St. Matagorda, TX 77457. (979) 863-7613.
- Buddy’s Seafood & Bait. 1400 Fisher St. Matagorda, TX 77457. (979) 863-7500.
- Rawling’s Bait Camp. 4532 FM2031. Matagorda, TX 77457. (979) 863-7669.